In the spring of 1908, fifteen dairy farmers from the area around Bleskensgraaf decided to join forces. That was how De Graafstroom Diary got started; the dairy is named after the canal that runs through the village of Bleskensgraaf. For years, the milk for our dairy was transported by boat along De Graafstroom but now the boats, bikes, horse-drawn carts and handcarts have been replaced by “refrigerated” lorries that keep the milk nice and fresh. Our dairy survived two World Wars and the catastrophic flood of 1953. Down the years, we have always maintained high standards of quality for our cheese, even when milk as rationed or when the waters of the North Sea reached the door of the dairy. Dairy cooperative DeltaMilk acquired our dairy in 2009, which means this factory, where we produce 45,000 tonnes of naturally matured Gouda cheeses - round and square - from 450 million litres of milk is now jointly owned by 180 dairy farmers, in other words: by our farmers.